I just finished making some almond roca. I wanted to share my recipe with you. I found it in the internet but I’ve modified it somewhat, and I’m really happy with the result. So here goes:
1/2 lb. butter (that’s two sticks… No substitutes!)
1/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
2 cups slivered almonds
1/2 lb. semi-sweet chocolate (NOTE! stick with the cheap kind – it actually works better!)
1. Melt the butter in a frying pan. Add sugars, corn syrup and water.
2. Bring the mixture to rolling boil, stirring constantly. Keep stirring throughout the process; that’ll prevend the mixture from burning. Cook for about 5min, the stir in almonds.
3. Keep boiling and stirring. After about 10min it’s time to insert your candy thermometer! The mixture is getting thicker now. However, it’s important to keep stirring…
4. Soon you should be able to smell the almonds roasting. That means you’re getting there… When your candy thermometer hits 290F/145C it’s time to pour the mixture on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Spread it quickly with a fork as thin as possible.
5. Spread the chocolate chips/pieces evenly on top and let them melt. Spread the chocolate evenly on the top.
6. Try to resist the temptation to taste the candy too soon – it takes quite a while to cool down! Once the sheet is cool break it into pieces.
7. Please enjoy responsibly! I take no responsibility for burned fingers or tongue, or possible weight gain… 😉